Wednesday, February 15, 2012

South Africa 2012 - Day Six


Day 6 - Table’s Can Be Tougher Than You Think


Today was a day for the physically fit, well at least for some of us. Two car loads of the Brittons (including Matt) headed for Table Mountain early in the morning. In the physically fit group we had Julian, Cleo, Rory, Guy, Elliot, Max, Matt, Hunter, Barbara and me. As we arrived at the bottom of our route up which was Planterklip’s Gorge we were all excited about the climb which was estimated to take us about 2 and a half hours. The path looked a little daunting but we were ready for the challenge. After about two minutes of basically rock climbing the men had been separated from the boys. Julian and I were sucking wind while the youngsters bounded up the path.


Having done a lot of climbing in my time I knew that the climb would have its steep parts but then have its flat bits as

well. Well apparently in South Africa they don’t follow the same protocol and all this route had was straight up. What Julian, Barbara and I realized is that when you get to our age you learn to appreciate the beauty that surrounds you and so stopped regularly i.e. every 15 yards to take in the breath-taking views, well that was when we could pick our heads up out from between our knees. The younger crowd made it up the mountain in about 90 mins, followed by Guy and the two youngest about 15 mins later and then the nature appreciating trio came up 45 minutes after that.


As for the rest of the Britton group they decided to take the cable car up to the top of the mountain. That took a 45 minute wait and they were all tired from waiting when they got to the top. For some reason the climbers really had no sympathy. The views from the top were really incredible as we had a completely clear day with great views over Cape Town, out towards the Stellenbosch

Mountains and then out over both the Atlantic and Indian Oceans. After lunch on top of the mountain we all took the cable car back down and headed back to the Lodge to swim and relax. I think over the next couple of days there will be a few sore muscles around the family.



One thing that became evermore apparent today taking my

car part way up a mountain is how small it is and how much power it doesn’t have. In the picture my car is in the middle and it just about comes up to the back door of the car next to it. There were times today where I had my foot pinning the accelerator to the floor and I wasn’t quite sure we would make it. I think if I was ever pulled over by the police for speeding in this car I would either bust out laughing or celebrate. The Chrysler company really have done a nice job with the body work around the lawn mower engine.


In the evening we headed down to the Waterfront in Cape Town for dinner and I was somewhat surprised how modern it was. The shopping area and restaurants could have

easily been in any coastal US city. After the meal I think there was a definite need to get back to the Lodge and get some sleep. I for one am feeling the muscles in my legs and feeling a little tired.


Tomorrow we head north for an hour where 6 of our group will jump out of a perfectly good plane for their tandem sky dive.


Psalm 90:2 - “Before the mountains were born or You gave birth to the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment